Chicken Pasanda is unfortunately over looked for the more common Korma which is a shame as its a cracking but mild cream dish. As always the ingredients must be the freshest you can get.
• 500 gm good quality chicken piece of approximately 2 inch each. Breast pieces are good for this recipe
• For Marinade:
• 100 gm. natural yoghurt
• Salt to taste
• 2 level tablespoon coriander powder
• 1 level tablespoon turmeric powder
• 2-3 large, brown cardamoms
• 2 bay leaves
• 1-2 inch piece cinnamon stick
• 5-6 cloves
• 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced/chopped
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/2 tablespoon Garam Masala
• A handful of chopped coriander leaves
1/4 tablespoon or to taste, chill powder
• 1 tsp. sweet paprika, for colour
• 2-3 green chilies, chopped (optional)
• 1 medium onion, peeled and grated or ground to a paste*
• 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and grated or ground*
• 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated or ground*
• 2 tablespoon ground almonds
• *These 3 can be ground together in a blender.
• For cooking:
• 2-3 tablespoon ghee
• 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 1/2 teaspoon methi or fenugreek seeds
Right lets get cooking
1. Flatten chicken pieces by beating with a wooden hammer.
2. Mix all marinade ingredients in a bowl and add chicken to it. Mix and leave to marinate for a few hours or overnight in a fridge. Allow it to come back to room temperature before cooking.
3. Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.
4. Add cumin, fenugreek, cardamoms, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, and cloves. When cumin seeds crackle or splutter, add sliced onion and fry until dark golden brown.
5. Add chicken and water. Close lid and cook on medium heat until chicken is tender. You will need to stir it from time to time, to ensure that it does not ‘catch’.
6. Raise heat towards the end, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Ghee will separate at this stage.
7. Adjust seasoning, add garam masala and coriander leaves and stir well. Serve hot with Chapatti or Tandoori Roti 1.
• You can add 2 tablespoon of dry methi leaves to the marinade.
• You can add 1/2 a cup of sour cream at step 7 for an extra creamy taste.
• Tips for cooking with yoghurt:
• Always use full fat yoghurt, if possible. Skimmed milk yoghurt sometimes curdles during cooking. If you wish to use low fat yoghurt, add 1 heaped teaspoon of plain or corn flour per cup of yoghurt.
• If yoghurt is cooked straight from the fridge, it may curdle. It helps to have it at room temperature.
• When adding yoghurt during cooking, take out a few tablespoons of the hot food in a bowl, mix yoghurt, warming it a bit and then stir it back into the hot dish.
• Substitute sour cream for yoghurt, using only half the amount.
Now the best part Chicken Pasanda recipe is eating it with friends and a glass of wine , if you have any feed back that will help others or just want to comment on how it went then just register and help us make this the best place to be … thank you